Saturday, April 28, 2012

Being An Indian Female

I wonder how I can still weep saying I suffer from writer’s block when girls are assaulted all over the country. The degree of proximity plays an important role in everyone’s life. It is the same reason that made me feel so weird after watching a news report in my local TV channel. A 17 year old girl raped by her father is pregnant. Since it is a local channel, they explained every minute detail including the video of the arrest of the accused. People give no value for relationships these days. If not, how can he do that to his own daughter?  Usually, a girl’s first hero will be her dad. What will be that girl’s mindset while delivering her own dad’s baby?
Kerala has witnessed some unusual and brutal attacks against female community for past few years. A girl was raped and killed by her friend’s father in Nilambur. She was just 9 year old! Again, a lady in her fifties was assaulted by her sons’ friends. Soon, you may hear news of sons raping their mothers. In addition to these cruelties, there are cases of killing babies just because of being females. The death of Baby Afreen is the latest ‘known’ incident. Unknown murders are countless.
I should admit that I’d never received any torture physically or verbally from my relatives or friends. I know I am a lucky female in this country to say so. However, in the society I had to suffer discrimination like every Indian lady. Once I proudly called myself a member of a state that has 100% literacy. Education is supposed to make a man cultured. Here, it is just the opposite. Women in Kerala cannot walk freely after dusk. Though the situation is changing slowly, God’s own country still remains a male dominant area at night. I would blame ladies for this situation (includes me too). We never bother to break the rules and act as if men are the ‘super powers’ in the world.

Indians address their own country as Bharath Matha and they worship Kali, the goddess of power. Our countrymen know how to respect and treat well. This is a nation known for patience and brotherhood. Similarly the law offers ‘equal’ rights to all citizens. Yet girls are considered as curse by many families. Female community is stamped as weaker section even today. Many times I feel it is the complex of men which make them control females. In Malayalam, there is a phrase aanaku aanayude shakthi ariyilla (An elephant doesn’t know its power). Same way, a female doesn’t know her strength. Or else, men never allow her to realize her potency by caging her with many dos and don’ts! Only the moment we recognize our power, we can move fearlessly and make our society spell ‘females’ without hesitation.

PS: I think I have deviated a long way from the point I started. The mix and match is not done proportionally. One thing you can read, i.e. the suffering of woman in India. After all, conclusion is tough for me when it comes to women issues.

16 comments:

  1. btw just to bring to ur notice there had been cases of son raping and molesting mother too earlier... and ya i guess it is proximity that has hit u now to see the reality! coz this thing surely is not something that had started recently.. i have been reading such incidents since last 13-14 yrs of my life...

    ReplyDelete
  2. A nice article. There are countless such events happening all over the world. Its proper education and up bringing in a family that gives a person to treat others well. But I dont know, how a father can do such an act towards his daughter. Miserable

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Human being has become beasts now a days... (though I hate to specify it as men...Thanks for the remark Prasad

      Delete
  3. ...sad but true! Very well written Roopz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some truths are depressing! Thanks for the feedback

      Delete
  4. We are dead as a civilization. What else do I say? Remember, however, we have a female President of dubious credentials, a female Prime Minister (the real one) who is worse than a Dunce, a female head of that all important state of Dilli who thinks girls are asking for it (go ahead, check the records).... What I wish to say, both men and women need to wake up from the deathly slumber.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What you said is right...! Nothing to argue on that :)

      Delete
  5. Very well written. More than men, I do blame women and their mentality for the state that the Indian woman is in today. In a lot of cases, you will see women agreeing that its right for the man to be God and for her to serve him. There is no question of equality. They think it is OK. Their brothers think that's how a girl needs to be served, the brother will treat his wife also that way. The kids will think its alright and the saga continues. People have to start breaking the chain. I wrote a recent post on Woman's Day to a similar effect. Would love for you to read it and to know your thoughts. http://deepa-duraisamy.blogspot.com/2012/03/womens-day-really.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you completely. Indian women worship men as superpowers. I went through your blog too. Well written, loved it :)

      Delete
  6. dn't knw hw did i reach here.. anyway it's a worth read and i'm sharing this one to my friends..

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey.... if a son do it to his mother then our world is really going to see the end!!! beacuse if there no mother tere is no moreson"s also......i will be worshipping god that should"t happen beacuse that blludy popple

    ...........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rarely that is also going on Shiva... Anyway thanks for your comment :)

      Delete
  8. let us discuss a soln 4 dis pblm. we have faced dis pblm for over a century. wat can we women do? wt is our strngt? y shd we allow men 2 trt us lik dis? evry time i c such an inciden my blood boils wid fury. bt i m helpless. we cant do nything if we do not unite in our thoughts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True... I believe we keep on discussing instead of acting!!!

      Delete