I began blogging as a time-pass, just to express myself. In the beginning, my concept about blog was that of an online diary. A diary to scribble anything and everything… Slowly, I could explore the world of blogging. I started knowing more about the life inside a blog. Also, choosing the job of social media executive helped me a lot to know more about this media.
I still cannot say I’m a successful blogger. However, one year of experience in the world of blogging has taught me so many things. Here are a few simple tips if you are entering into the field of blogging or if you wish to be a successful blogger:
- Clear vision: You should have a clear idea of what you are going to present in your blog. An unplanned post may take 2-3 days to finish, while a planned one can be done in 2-3 hours. Don’t think that Google is there to help you and so you never have to plan. Your concentration and ideas count more than anything else. You may see some of my posts are not even viewed by a single person. Those are the stupid posts that I’d written without a clear vision.
- Unified layout: People tend to read a blog that doesn’t change its lay out for each post. Stick to a format. Take time and decide how your blog should look. I had spent more than five days to finalize the design for this blog. I also love to try out new gadgets. You can see a number of gadgets on the write side of my blog. It is your blog and so you can choose the essentials for your blog. But make sure that, it looks appealing.
- Give personal touch: You must understand that readers visit your blog to know your perspective on an issue. So, if you are giving a general opinion, they may find no difference between your blog and Wikipedia. A blog is your own property. You are the master and hence you have the right to add whatever you feel.
- Stick to a particular subject: It is ideal if you can specialize you write on a single subject. Everyone will be interested to write whatever they feel like. But sticking on to a single topic like photography or poems makes your blog look more perfect rather than writing many things though I’d never followed this point in my blog.
- Catchy title: Even if you write a wonderful article altogether, no one will read unless it has an interesting caption. In the newspapers, we used to say, giving a headline is the toughest task as it is the element that makes people read a news story. Finding a best title may not be easy always. But, I’d suggest you to spend sometime on framing an attractive heading.
- Lists are better than paragraphs: A simple list can drag more traffic to your blog than a well framed paragraph. It not only drags readers, but also it is one of the best ways to show case your writing skills.
- Photos speak more than letters: Pictures can convey more than words do. A blog post without images or diagrams is so boring to read. A single image can make your entire blog post colorful and bright.
- Let people follow you: Make your readers follow your blog. I’d like to call them my ‘blog friends’ rather than followers. The best way to raise your traffic and increase the count of followers is through social media sites. As Facebook stands on the top of the list, you can update your FB status with the recent happenings of your blog. Also you can request personally to your friends and dear ones to go through the blog and comment on your post. Whenever I post anything, I do all these to make everyone read my blog. Because of me doing this constantly, one of my friend had once threaten me that “If you again spell the word ‘blog’, our friendship will end then and there”. But I haven’t stopped it till now.
- Never miss a chance to paste your blog link in other’s post: Whenever you find any good post and you feel you should comment on it, don’t stop just by a simple note. Leave an imprint of your blog there all the time. It may sound simple, but it can give brilliant results.
- Mingle with readers: A blog writer will be delighted whenever he finds a comment on his post. Most of the readers, however, remain silent without posting a remark. As a blogger, you should interact with your readers well. Also give a platform for your readers to interact themselves. One of my friend has a blog named My Work is My Style. I could see him interacting well with those who comment on his posts and thus making the blog so lively!