Saturday, April 11, 2015

I Love You For Ten Rupees


An off day, I and my hubby decided to spend a few moments at Kozhikode beach. We have in fact made a routine to visit beach on our holidays. Kozhikode beach, like every other seashore, has some usual sights of snacks sellers, beggars and security men. There are some variety cuisines like ice-cream porichath (fried ice cream) and ice orachath (mixed fruits or vegetables with vinegar, sweets and ice cubes) near beachside. Only difference at this beach is that people don’t step in to water as the drainage flows to this part of the sea. Anyone can see the open canals carrying waste water which mixes up with sea waves.
We somehow managed to get a quiet place facing sea.  The sun has already moved to other side of the planet. Music of waves soothed our ears. Then we saw a little girl of about four to five years of age walking through the sandy shore. Her dress and hair were shabby. She has not taken bath recently. Her hands held some balloons. My hubby decided to offer her ten rupees.

‘How much?’ asked my hubby pointing to balloons. She said ‘dhus rupaiya’ (ten rupees). He offered ten rupees as alms. Instantly, she gave us a yellow balloon and walked away. Though my husband told her to take it back, she moved without listening. I stared at that yellow balloon. There were three words scribbled on it, I LOVE YOU. 

2 comments: